Monday, 26 May 2014

4Ground Medieval Dwelling

I'm very conscious there has been very little blogging of late; my work/life schedule has taken a massive bite into my free time in recent months, although I have been (sort of) productive during this time; no reports have made it online.  

Having said all that, the academic year is grinding to a close and with it, most of my current commitments; which should allow more blogging again...

Anyway, enough of my blubbing and on with the update! During a great visit to Salute recently, what stood out for me was the very prominent 4Ground kit that seemed to dominate a lot of the display games. I always had an open mind about laser cut buildings and their inherent qualities, but having seen them firsthand I have been sold; yes, they probably don't look as convincing as resin/plastic etc, but given the time saved, flexibility and so on, they are hard to beat. Not only that, they do look impressive 'in the flesh'.


I decided to take the plunge and try one out, hence the Saxon/Medieval dwelling here,which I picked up for £14, which is fairly reasonable. For those who haven't encountered the model before, I found it very straight forward to build. The only 'dodgy' bit, I think, is the so-called 'teddy bear fur' used for the thatch. However, once it is treated with a PVA/water mix as outlined in the instructions, it isn't too bad. I may yet wash and dry brush it to give it a little more depth.


The interior, out of the box is a little sparse, so I painted and dry brushed the floor before adding some brown static grass as 'straw', along with some firewood and 'ashes' in the fire box.




I intend to base the dwelling and add some wattle fencing, currently on order from Northstar to create a centre piece for a bit of Dark Age skirmishing - probably using THW's Swordplay rules.


Finally, the obligatory scale shot, using a couple of Conquest Games' Norman Infantry; as you can see, they fit very nicely. To sum up, I think 4Ground are the way ahead and ideal for skirmish-type games and intend to order a few more.

That's it for now,

Monty 


15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, must admit, they are better in real life ;)

      Delete
  2. That looks great. A friend of mine has some 4ground Japanese buildings and they are very impressive. Looking forward to seeing it based. Cheers, Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I will put it up once I get the fencing in ;)

      Delete
  3. I love these, they really are top quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, Michael - good time savers too ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks really great - nice finishing touches with the straw & ash inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking model Monty.
    They re up for a reason: skirmish games. I think they fill the task

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Thanos, me too.

      Delete
    2. Looks fab nice touches you have done

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    i like your Blog!
    I follow you. If you like to follow me too, i’ll be happy!
    The Board Game Theory
    Violet Studio Paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    i like your Blog!
    I follow you. If you like to follow me too, i’ll be happy!
    The Board Game Theory
    Violet Studio Paint

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
    It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete